- What is lysine? Lysine (L-lysine) is an essential amino acid found in many protein-rich foods (see Lysine in Food) and is needed for proper growth and other critical functions (see details in What It Is).
- What are the health benefits of lysine? As a supplement, lysine may help prevent cold sores (herpes simplex labialis), genital herpes lesions, and canker sores. Although it is also found in topical products for cold sores, it is not known to be active topically (See details in What It Does).
- How much lysine to take? Typical daily dosage is 1,000 to 3,000 mg (see details in Quality Concerns).
- Lysine has also been used to prevent/treat feline herpesvirus 1 infection — but there is no clinical evidence to support this use and it is not recommended (see details in What It Does, For Cats).
- What did CL's tests of lysine find? CL's tests found that all but one product contained their listed amounts of lysine (see details in What CL Found).
- Best value for lysine: The cost to obtain lysine from CL Approved products ranged from 4 cents to 33 cents per 1,000 mg (and up to 72 cents for cat products). See which CL Approved products provide the best value.
- To compare product test ratings, ingredients, and prices, see the Results Table.
- Lysine safety and side effects: People with kidney disease, gallstones, elevated cholesterol, and glutaric acidemia type I should exercise caution with lysine supplements (see details in Concerns and Cautions).
Lysine Supplements Review
Choose the Best Lysine Supplement. CL Tests Reveal Which Lysine Supplements Provide the Best Quality and Value
Lysine supplement brands compared in this review
21st Century L-Lysine for Cats
Andrew Lessman ProCaps Lysine
Douglas Laboratories L-Lysine
Finest Nutrition [Alpha XR] L-Lysine
Nature Made L-Lysine
Pet Naturals of Vermont L-Lysine for Cats
Puritan's Pride L-Lysine
Rite Aid Pharmacy L-Lysine
Source Naturals L-Lysine
Spring Valley [Walmart] L-Lysine
Swanson Free-Form L-Lysine
Up & Up [Target] L-Lysine
Vitamin World L-Lysine
- Which lysine supplements passed or failed testing
- How lysine supplements compare on quality and cost and which provide the best value.
- What lysine can and cannot do for your health, and your cat's health.
- How to read the labels, so you know how much lysine you can really expect from a product without being fooled.
- Lysine dosage for uses including cold sores, genital herpes lesions and canker sores.
- Concerns, drug interactions, and potential side-effects of lysine.
As a ConsumerLab.com member, you may print a copy of this report for your personal use.
You can access a special print version by clicking the "Print" icon in the upper right corner of this report. You can then use your web browser's print functions to print the whole report or just selected pages.
You may also email or post a link to this report using the web address above. Non-members using the link will see a free summary and can join to view the full report. Other means of copying or distributing this report, in part or full, are not permitted.